Friday, January 25, 2013

Modest Mouse are Douchebags

by Lifeguard of Love

Everybody knows Modest Mouse are douchebags. I’ve intentionally never looked at their image, because I’m sure if I did I could never enjoy listening to them again. They were never my music anyway. I never heard them except for that one song on the radio until I met Slim Volume. The first time I heard them not-on-the-radio, I said, “They sound like the Beastie Boys on a Carribean vacation.” (!?!?!) Later, the first time I heard the Pixies (yes, later, it’s my goddamn rock n roll life and I am not ashamed of it), I was like, “oh, that’s what Modest Mouse is ripping off.” Also, isn’t there something about a statutory rape? I know statutory rape can just mean it’s your 18th birthday and you consensually fucked your still-not-18-year-old girlfriend (we've all been there), but still. Douchebags.

BUT WE FUCKING FALL FOR IT! Because something about it is so sincere. [VULNERABILITY AND MANIPULATION] But it’s not like Built to Spill; girls don’t listen to it to dream or learn about how men feel about them. Girls listen to Modest Mouse to imagine what it’s like to be a dude. And Modest Mouse tell us.
But they weren’t Axl-Rose-style, blatantly-mysogynist douchebags. They were douchebags for a new era. They were the mopey sad sack douchebags when interest in safer sex/HIV prevention was fading from pop culture. (note: I am REALLY into historicizing things in relation to the HIV-AIDS crisis and HIV prevention propaganda right now). Because they can’t get laid aside from statutory rape, they resort to displays of vulnerability to make girls like them. Ted Bundy with crutches.

Modest Mouse’s crutches include: motion sickness, love sickness, claustrophobia, recreational drug use, low-grade alcholism, not giving a damn, chronic cough, blasphemy, sleepwalking, fucking people over.

Fuck all those straight-haired brunettes who did you wrong, Ted Bundy. I’ll love you right.

No comments:

Post a Comment